Lead Security Engineer, Security Tools
Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency and public blockchains for payments, commerce and financial applications worldwide. Circle platforms and products provide a suite of internet-native financial services for payments, treasury infrastructure and capital formation. Circle is also a principal developer of USD Coin (USDC), which has become the fastest growing dollar digital currency in the world. USDC has grown to over 53+ billion in circulation and supported over $1.9+ trillion in transactions in the past year. Circle’s payments and treasury infrastructure services available through the Circle Account and APIs helps bridge the legacy financial system and digital currency and blockchain based finance. Circle’s SeedInvest service brings internet-native fundraising and capital formation to startups and growth companies. Combined, Circle’s suite of services helps companies to participate in a more open, global and inclusive financial system.
What you’ll be part of:
With the mission “To raise global economic prosperity through the frictionless exchange of financial value,” Circle was founded on the belief that the internet, blockchains and digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient and integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people and businesses everywhere can more freely connect and transact with each other with new technologies for digital money and internet-native finance. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people and companies everywhere. Our mission is powered by the values we espouse and which we expect all Circlers to respect. We are Multistakeholder, serving the needs of our customers, our shareholders, our employees and families, our local communities and our world. Furthermore, we are also Mindful, Driven by Excellence, and High Integrity.
What you’ll be responsible for:
Circle is looking for a new member of this team to develop tools that automate testing of security configurations and controls across a variety of SaaS and cloud-based assets. You’ll also participate in threat modeling, vulnerability assessment, and risk assessment projects. You will continue to learn and stay current in a fun and rapidly changing environment.
What you'll work on:
- Build security tooling and automation for internal use that enable the Security Team to operate at high speed across Circle’s infrastructure.
- Design, implement, deploy and maintain custom automation products for control testing.
- Coordinate with team members to maintain software and operate solutions.
- Mentor team members as needed to help develop their skill sets.
- Author and maintain middleware documentation.
- Integrate with APIs and application endpoints; generate machine and human readable output.
- Provide regular and effective progress updates to and work closely with management to communicate any delivery risks or issues.
- Demonstrate technical leadership to manage and provide multiple technical solutions, perform code reviews, establish and enforce coding guidelines and best practices.
- Define and own metrics and key performance indicators to determine the effectiveness of the Security automation program.
- Create automation to reduce time to remediation across Circle infrastructure.
- Engage with teams to identify shared problems and develop automation.
- Manage the effectiveness of tooling, rationalizing tools as needed, and identifying new tool needs as necessary.
- Lead security initiatives (including security reviews, tool development, and creation of new security practices) with end-to-end ownership.
- Support security team projects such as threat modeling, vulnerability scanning and audits.
- Influence the continuous improvement of the security program.
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
What you’ll bring to Circle:
- 7+ years of experience as a security engineer or software engineer with a minimum of 2 years (can be overlapping) with a focus on cybersecurity.
- Proficiency in multiple programming languages is desirable (Python, Golang, Rust, Ruby, etc.).
- Proficiency with multiple data formats and query languages (XML, JSON, SQL, Regular Expression, etc.).
- Enthusiasm for scalable, reproducible security management.
- Ability to scope, design, and estimate work.
- Ability to design and operate controls that are easy to test and audit.
- Self-motivated and creative problem-solver able to work independently with minimal guidance.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively across teams.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and use good judgment to establish an order of priorities on the fly.
- Familiarity with standards such as ISO 27001/27002 or the NIST Cybersecurity Framework is desirable.
- Experience working in financial services or financial technology desired.
- Certifications such as CISSP or similar will receive favorable consideration but are not required.
- Experience working on applications deployed within AWS is desirable.
- Experience/familiarity with Slack, Apple MacOS and GSuite.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, cybersecurity or related field; Equivalent experience also accepted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.