Enterprise Risk Management
Internal Controls Risk Director, France
Circle is a financial technology company at the epicenter of the emerging internet of money, where value can finally travel like other digital data — globally, nearly instantly and less expensively than legacy settlement systems. This ground-breaking new internet layer opens up previously unimaginable possibilities for payments, commerce and markets that can help raise global economic prosperity and enhance inclusion. Our infrastructure – including USDC, a blockchain-based dollar – helps businesses, institutions and developers harness these breakthroughs and capitalize on this major turning point in the evolution of money and technology.
What you’ll be part of:
Circle is committed to visibility and stability in everything we do. As we grow as an organization, we're expanding into some of the world's strongest jurisdictions. Speed and efficiency are motivators for our success and our employees live by our company values: Multistakeholder, Mindfulness, Driven by Excellence and High Integrity. Circlers are consistently evolving in a remote world where strength in numbers fuels team success. We have built a flexible and diverse work environment where new ideas are encouraged and everyone is a stakeholder.
What you’ll be responsible for:
Circle is looking for an experienced Internal Controls Risk Director, France to lead the second line of defense (2LoD) permanent control function within Circle France in accordance with article 12 b and article 16 of the Order of 2 December 2014. This role will be exclusively dedicated to overseeing the full spectrum of enterprise-wide internal controls for the newly established European entity.
Reporting directly to the General Manager of Circle France, the Internal Control Officer will partner closely with first line functions to ensure that all relevant risks have been identified and are being appropriately managed and mitigated in accordance with the established policies, standards and procedures. Primary responsibilities include ensuring Circle’s internal control systems are effectively implemented and maintained. The ICO will monitor Circle’s operations, processes, and procedures to identify any weaknesses or vulnerabilities that could pose risks to Circle.
The ICO will oversee the implementation and execution of controls by respective functions to ensure that the overall risk is appropriately managed. The right candidate will possess and demonstrate strong risk management design and execution experience focused on outcomes.
What you'll work on:
- Designing and implementing a permanent control system that appropriately assesses and captures all relevant risks in a timely manner.
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures, establishing control mechanisms, monitoring and testing their effectiveness.
- Providing guidance and training to employees on internal control practices and help in the investigation of any potential fraud or misconduct. Ensuring that appropriate risk monitoring practices are implemented throughout the first line of defense.
- Leading all aspects of enterprise risk management including issues management, risk mitigation, risk identification, risk assessment, controls identification and supporting governance and oversight through appropriate reporting bodies.
- Engaging the necessary regulatory and internal control change management practices to ensure that all relevant policies, standards and procedures are routinely updated.
- Verifying that the operations carried out by the company, as well as its internal organization and procedures, comply with the provisions specific to banking and financial activities,in accordance with applicable legislation and company policies.
- Verifying decision-making and risk-taking procedures, in particular in the form of limits (tolerances), by executive management, and defined in accordance with risk appetite, are strictly complied with.
- Controlling the quality of accounting, financial and management standards information, whether intended for executive management or the supervisory board, transmitted to supervisory and regulatory authorities, or included in documents intended for publication.
- Verifying the quality of processes contributing to the security and proper operation of the information system and to business continuity.
- Verifying the timely implementation of corrective measures decided upon within reporting companies.
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
What you’ll bring to Circle:
- 15+ years experience in internal control monitoring, risk management, audit functions etc. within a financial institution.
- Experience in embedding a risk culture in a rapidly expanding business environment, preferable technology or financial services.
- Experience in risk management, including building programs, especially control experience across several disciplines including governance and oversight, issues management, reporting management, risk identification, control and assessment and other second line of defense programs.
- Mastery of working in an internally dynamic, entrepreneurial and highly collaborative environment. Proactive self-starter.
- Consummate communicator in complex, multi-stakeholder global environments and model behaviors consistent with company values and the highest ethical standards.
- Experienced in presenting to and being challenged by a broad range of stakeholders, including Internal control/risk management.
- Experience collaborating cross functionally and driving results while working with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Experience leading complex projects, while setting objectives and ensuring accountability from project participants.
- Strong problem solving and communication skills.
- Strong conceptual thinker with experience of the implementation process.
- have an independent view with strong countervailing challenge skills whilst being collaborative in your professional interaction.
- In-depth knowledge of Internal Control as a function with in particular expertise on Risk Management / Non-Financial Risk Management / Enterprise Risk Management framework and methodology.
- Extensive, in-depth knowledge on all Internal Control integrity risk themes and related regulatory requirements, and you have knowledge of the variety of financial products and services offered in the crypto ecosystem.
- Experience in designing and leading the execution of internal control reviews.
- Proficient in French and English, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience/familiarity with Slack, Apple MacOS and GSuite.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Additionally, Circle participates in the E-Verify Program in certain locations, as required by law.
We’re looking far and wide for the right people.
As a global organization, we seek to hire the best talent in a variety of cities around the world. In some cases, we look for candidates who align to a particular team’s geography or time zone to help maximize productivity and ensure strong employee experiences. If you feel this job is right for you, select the city closest to you from the list below to apply.